T206 Honus Wagner SGC 3 Card at Auction

Iconic Card Could Break All-Time Sales Record
  • July 23, 2021

One of the finest-known examples of THE card, a T206 Honus Wagner, is now available at auction.  The card, graded SGC 3, could set an all-time sales record!

A T206 Honus Wagner card is currently at auction, and we may see a price record fall. There are fewer than 100 copies of this card known to exist, and just four copies in the world are in better condition than the SGC 3 being offered.

For the T206 tobacco set, almost every card is tough to find in top condition.  Cards were inserted in tobaccos packs over a century ago; mint-condition cards simply don't exist. PSA has given a grade of a perfect 10 to just 13 T206 cards (out of 255,122 cards submitted for grading)! SGC has graded and awarded a perfect score to even fewer T206 cards.  When we tell you that the grade on this Wagner card is a "3" out of 10, don't let your mind believe this is a bad grade.  Only four other Honus Wanger cards have received a higher grade - ever!

WILL THE PRICE RECORD FALL?

The current record for most expensive card of all-time is 5.2 million dollars for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle set in January of this year. Honus Wagner isn't far behind as the fourth-most expensive card ever with a sale at 3.7 million dollars in October of 2020 for a PSA 3.  Remember when a T206 Wagner card could be had for "only" $75,000 back in 2000?  

This exact card was sold in 2012 for 1.32 million dollars. Prices have increased over the last eight years, as you can see by the 3.7 million-dollar sale last year.  A low-grade Wagner sold for 2.5 million dollars just five months ago, and this SGC 3 card at auction is in much better shape.  With a grade of 3, this card is one of the best examples to hit the block in six years, so you could very well see a new all-time price record- look out, Mick!

THE AUCTION:

Robert Edwards Auctions, REA, is offering the Wagner.  Bidding is open until August 15th, and you can bid HERE.

As we type, the bidding is up to $2,853,117.00 with 22 days left to bid! What do you think - will we see a new record?

WE ARE ALWAYS BUYING

If you have a T206 Honus Wagner, we'd love to hear from you!  I have purchased numerous T206 collections including some very rare cards in the set like the Eddie Plank card.

Just Collect is always buying vintage sports and non-sports cards from 1879 to 1979 as well as select modern cards. Your collection doesn't have to be all vintage like this collection either!  I recently bought a graded card collection of more modern cards that was filled with rookie cards of Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, and even Hulk Hogan that you can see here.

If you have a collection that you are considering selling, contact me today to discuss or get our industry-leading purchase offer. If you have a collection that you want appraised, please contact us and I would be happy to discuss your collection and help you understand the real cash value of your collection in the current marketplace. Check out the Just Collect buy list blog here

OUR BUYING PHILOSPHY

I've run into a wide range of people and collections over the last 25 years. Although Just Collect is known for buying vintage sports cards and especially vintage baseball cards, I am also extremely interested in buying non-sports cards, too!  

Every collection and every collector is different and I treat EVERY collection with the respect and attention that we show for our own collections. I understand that many have put their heart and souls into building their collections. So when you're ready to sell, understand the feelings that you're going through and will work with you to help you reach a decision that is a WIN/WIN, because if you're not happy, I'm not happy.

CONTACT ME ANY TIME

Whether you have complete vintage sets, single cards of players like Mickey Mantle or Michael Jordan, or even cards of select modern stars, I'd love to hear from you!  You can reach out any time!  

Search

Recent Posts

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Rookie Card Possibly Found in Ocean

Huge vintage basketball collection features rookies of Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, and More!

Buying 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Rookie Using Eye Appeal Over PSA Grade